St Benedict’s Catholic Primary School fully recognises its responsibilities for child protection.
The school’s main aim is to provide a safe, secure and stable base for children and help to protect them from harm. The welfare of our children is of paramount importance to all the adults who work in our school. To achieve this aim St Benedict’s will:
- Ensure safer recruitment and vetting practises are followed, therefore checking the suitability of staff and volunteers who wish to work with our children.
- Raise awareness of safeguarding/child protection issues to staff, parents and children.
- Provide an environment where children feel safe, are encouraged to talk and are listened to.
- Help equip children with skills needed to keep themselves safe
- Develop, implement and review policy and procedures in relation to child protection.
- Train and raise awareness of all staff, defining their role and responsibilities in reporting possible cases of abuse.
- Ensure there is effective communication between staff on child protection matters.
- Identify children who are suffering or likely to suffer significant harm.
- Report cases or suspected cases of abuse to Social Care.
- Work in partnership with parent/carer and other professionals to support and help protect children who have a Protection Plan.
- Establish a safe environment in which children can learn and develop.
- Employ the services of an Education Safeguarding Consultant.
The designated Safeguarding Lead is Mrs K Sill.
The Deputy Nominated Persons are Mrs R Bickerstaff, Mrs J Haslam and Miss C Wilson.
The Nominated Safeguarding Governor is Mrs C Short
If you have any concerns related to any of our children, please contact one of the above named persons.
What is safeguarding?
It might be difficult to accept, but every child can be hurt, put at risk of harm or abused, regardless of their age, gender, religion or ethnicity.
Safeguarding legislation and government guidance says that safeguarding means:
- protecting children from maltreatment
- preventing impairment of children’s health or development
- ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care.
- taking action to enable all children and young people to have the best outcomes
“the action we take to promote the welfare of children and protect them from harm – is everyone’s responsibility. Everyone who comes into contact with children and families has a role to play.”
Working together to safeguard children (HM Government 2013)
Parents, carers and staff all have the safety and wellbeing of our children at the centre of the decisions they make, both in and out of School. Keeping children safe is everyones responsibility. Members of the public, as well as staff in helping agencies, can play a vital role in helping to protect children from abuse or neglect.
For children who live in Redcar & Cleveland
Contacting Redcar & Cleveland Multi Agency Children’s Hub
If you are worried about a child or young person, and feel they are at risk of being abused, neglected or at risk of being harmed, please contact:
Redcar & Cleveland Multi Agency Children’s Hub (MACH)
Telelphone – 01642 130 700
The Multi Agency Children’s Hub (MACH) is a partnership between Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council, Cleveland Police and Health Partners.
The MACH Team are available:
Monday to Thursday from 8:30am to 5:00pm
Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm.
Getting help and support out of office hours
The Emergency Duty Team provides an out-of-hours response to emergency situations involving child protection and the care of a child.
The Emergency Duty Team is available outside of *normal service hours, bank holidays and weekends. They can be contacted via telephone number: 01642 524 552
Out of Hours Emergency Duty Team – Tel: (08702) 402994
NSPCC National Helpline
Tel: (0808) 8005000
- Safeguarding Poster 25.09.2020.pdf pdf384.9 KbSep 28th, 2020
- Child Protection Policy 2020.pdf pdf508.8 KbSep 8th, 2020
- Parent Carer Guide to Online Safeguarding During Coronavirus.pdf pdf245.1 KbApr 21st, 2020
- We are an Operation Encompass School - Screensaver (3).pdf pdf301.2 KbMar 20th, 2020
- keeping children safe in education.pdf pdf1.3 MbFeb 12th, 2019
- child safety leaflet.pdf pdf937.9 KbFeb 12th, 2019
- Preventing and Tackling Bullying.pdf pdf366.1 KbFeb 12th, 2019
- Prevent Duty.pdf pdf197.6 KbFeb 12th, 2019